Based on the supportive policy for innovations or invention in UV and the new organizational structure of UV approved the creation of Scientific Research Centers that will operate in each faculty.
The Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences is not newly created but is a continuation of the Center for Scientific Research – Environmental Studies of the University of Vlora which was opened for the first time on 24.11.2008.
In general, the studies carried out by the center have been of an environmental nature, environmental monitoring related to the polluting gases of the atmosphere, aromatic and polyaromatic hydrocarbons, pesticides, bacteriological loads, physical / chemical parameters, geo-environment and geo-tourism, marine biology.
The Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences is composed of:
- Head of the Scientific Research Center
- Two Specialists (academic staff)
- An Academic Assistant for the Laboratory.
With the reorganization of the Scientific Research Center it is thought to be offered some areas of study in order to increase the impact of scientific research such as:
- Environmental studies
- Physical and Instrumental Methods of Analysis
- Engineering Materials and Methods. Shipping and marine technology
- Real-time systems development, statistical analysis of data and knowledge modeling
Among the main objectives and tasks of the Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences are:
- Creating a modern infrastructure through full functionality and strengthening the laboratories of the Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences that will assist in the development of scientific research of the academic staff of the Faculty.
- The support of the realization of study programs ” Master of Science” and “Doctorate” offered by faculty departments as well as for providing services in assisting third parties.
- About the facilities of the Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences so far have had in its diposal two laboratories in the Building C of the Faculty of Technical Science, which are equipped with tools in support of scientific research.
- It will soon be possible to set up a third laboratory and reorganize the Center’s facilities and equip them with contemporary laboratory equipment (a process that has started and will continue).
Among the equipment available at the Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences are:
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometer, flame atomization system
- UV-VIS spectrophotometer
- Microwave Disconnect Equipment
- Simple stereo digital stereo microscope
- Universal ultrasonic detector
- Hardness testers
- Analytical Equipment (X-ray Fluorescence) for crystalline structures
- Conductor meter
- Simple analytical equipment etc.
Through these laboratory equipment, it is possible to define different parameters of environmental quality such as: organic and inorganic pollutants (heavy metals in various types of samples, pollutant atmosphere gases, aromatic and polyaromatic hydrocarbons, chlororganic pollutants, nutrients, solid and suspended solids, physicochemical parameters etc.) thus enabling the realization of various environmental studies and not only.
- Increasing the performance of applications for joint national and international projects will be achieved both under the auspices of the Projects and External Relations Sector.
- Facilitating application for fundraising by the National Agency for Research, Development and Innovation in relation to the establishment of analytical methods at the Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences.
- Establishing sustainable ties with international partners. In the framework of the establishment and implementation of analytical methods in the center, cooperation will be required with the universities of neighboring countries such as the University of Ioannina, Bari, Lecce and Tetovo.
- Scientific research will be put to the service of the region and beyond by carrying out joint research projects with local units, home and foreign universities.
- Carrying out and providing services (conducting analyzes) for stakeholders so as to increase the Center’s and UV revenues and further its empowerment.
- Organize periodically (every two to three years) and participate in various scientific events such as: Scientific Conference, WorkShop, Seminars in which the Scientific Research Center will make public the results of scientific research conducted by academic staff or students.
- Enrichment of the literature and creation of a database for the Scientific Research Center of the Faculty of Technical Sciences to assist in the realization of scientific research by students and academic staff.
- Publication of scientific research results conducted by academic staff or students in the UV Bulletin and in the National and International Scientific Magazines.